Jackfruit is everywhere lately! Why, you ask? It takes the flavor of anything you really want it to, which is great for a meat substitute. I have been wanting to try jackfruit and I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it. Tacos, pizza, sandwich? I ultimately went with pizza because I mean, it's pizza!
This is the pizza before the oven. It smelled delicious and seriously, it's beautiful! I went to three different stores looking for jackfruit! Whole Foods has already marinated jackfruit but I really wanted to do my own thing and wanted jack fruit from a can. Trader Joe's to the rescue! If you want to make this go to Trader Joe's or call your grocery store first to make sure they have canned jackfruit!
This is one of those meals that I wanted to serve to Nick and not tell him it was vegan. It has cheese, cilantro, onion, pineapple, BBQ sauce, and what looks like BBQ chicken! Even though I was tempted to trick him, I couldn't wait any longer to eat it!
Bear also loved this dish. Don't worry he didn't eat pizza! But, he is Vegan and if I am cooking with fruits and veggies I always google if dogs can eat it. Well it turns out, pineapple is good for dogs! He always stays in his place while I cook, so I gave him a few pieces of pineapple as a sweet treat. He was one happy boy!
Nick had half of the pizza and said he really thought he was eating chicken! I swear you guys, this jackfruit is life changing. I can't wait to use it in more meals!
1 can jackfruit in brine, drained
1 can pineapple, drained
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1/2 cup vegan BBQ sauce (I use tessemaes and I love it!)
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Pizza Crust- I use Whole Food's 365 crust.
1 cup Daiya Mozzarella cheese (or any other vegan cheese)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Drain jackfruit and chop into little pieces.
- I did some big pieces and some little pieces and pulled them apart with my fingers pretty easily!
- Add jackfruit to a pan with olive oil and salt & pepper. Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- While the jackfruit is sauteing, mix BBQ sauce, sriracha and maple syrup.
- Put a small bit of the BBQ mixture onto the pizza crust and cover with Daiya cheese.
- Slice onion into small thin slices.
- Drain pineapple
- Add the BBQ sauce to the jackfruit and cook for an additional five minutes on medium/low heat.
- Make your pizza! Add red onions, pineapple, cilantro and jackfruit to your pizza.
- Bake for ten minutes, cut and enjoy!
I hope you guys give this one a try! We absolutely loved it. If you make it, make sure to tag @happilyromer.