It's been a while since my last post, we have been so busy! Do you ever feel life is flying by? I feel like just yesterday we were at the lake with friends in July. Maybe it's because we haven't been home on a weekend since July, so my recipe building has been slim!
Luckily, we are back! I made this delicious lasagna soup for dinner Monday night and had leftovers for work, which is just the best. It hit the spot!
Lasagna is one of those meals that always hits the spot for me. I think it's because it's one of those meals my mom made growing up. Lasagna is warm, comforting and has so much flavor. I tried to combine the warmth, comfort and flavor into this soup. Two of my favorite things; soup and lasagna!
Having a meat eater husband, I am always trying to think of meals that can easily be made non vegan if needed. I cooked some spicy Italian sausage on the side to add to his soup. If you are not vegan, just add the sausage to the soup! Make sure its organic, pasture raised meat-ALWAYS!
As you can tell from the ingredient photo, we eat almost all organic. I know not everyone agrees that organic is better, however, this is what works for us and we enjoy knowing we are giving our bodies the best ingredients we can. Everyone's food journey is so different, but I love being able to share mine with you.
I mean look at that soup! I want to make it again just looking at it!
8 lasagna noodles (you can use more if you want, but remember they will soak in some of the liquid!)
1 can diced tomatoes in Italian seasoning
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
ricotta cheese (I use kite hill vegan ricotta)
3 cloves garlic
4 cups vegetable broths (or more if you want leftovers)
1/4 cup basil
1/2 tbsp of sriracha- I like a little bit of spice in my lasagna. If you don't, just leave this out!
1/2 tbsp oregano
salt & pepper
- dice onion and garlic.
- chop basil into pieces, set aside.
- Add the onion to hot pot with olive oil.
- Saute until the onions start to brown, add garlic
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes with juices, pasta sauce, and vegetable broth.
- Add sriracha, oregano, salt & pepper (stir)
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Crack lasagna noodles into pieces. Some big and some small!
- Add the pieces to boiling soup, and bring to medium heat.
- Cook noodles to the box directions (usually 9-11 minutes)
- Once your noodles are cooked, scoop into bowls
- top with a dollop of vegan ricotta and chopped basil
If you make this soup make sure to tag @happilyromer so I can see your creation!